Here I am! A prairie Saskatchewan girl living an adventure in Italy for the next two years. I'm sharing my trials & tribulations, exciting adventures and just talking about life. Join me! Ciao!

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Beach Day!

FYI: This is a previous "post" (aka information jotted down before Internet was available) from our orientation days.

Beach day!  Yay!  Woke up after a terrible sleep to find my phone still not working. Grrrr.  Talked to Etmae later on in the day and, I’m not the only new expat to ISG to have this problem, we’ll hopefully get it fixed tomorrow.  It’s so frustrating not having a phone.  Silly, since 10 yrs ago I didn’t have one and was just fine.  But it’s my link to the outside world, and will allow me to watch tv over here.

Anyways, we met at the school today and took a bus, then a train to Comogli.  It’s a port place where we can take the ferry to other parts of the Riviera that cannot otherwise be accessed (or it’s farther and takes longer).  It was beautiful walking along the seaside.  I can’t believe how blue the water is and how bright the sun gets.  It’s wonderful!  So we had some gelato (well me no, as it has dairy and I can’t eat it *sigh*) and then wandered down to the ferry.  I almost hopped in the water valet boat (wow! those two gentlemen were HOT).






The ferry was amazing!  Just leaving the coast of Genoa was beautiful in itself.  It amazes me how some of the homes are built on the very top of hills/cliffs and others seem to be dropped into the side of the hills. 


We first stopped at San Fruttuoso which can only be accessed by water.  We had a lovely lunch where I had pesto and others got to experience fresh (literally off the water that day) fish and seafood.  It was fabulous!








Next we hung out on the beach.  Interesting fact: the beaches we went to today did not have sand, they’re all rocks.  Hmmmm….. I got some Italian sun and saw quite a few interesting bathing suits.  It is not uncommon for a male around here to wear speedo like attire.  Oh for a woman to go topless.  Yikes!

We again boarded the ferry and headed to Portofino.  We only got to see a very small part of it but regardless it was amazing!  Luxury shops, boats everywhere, YACHTS everywhere.  A few people got to Castilla Brown but I wasn’t one of them.  Next time perhaps.


 0Finally after some time there we headed back on the ferry.  It was a long day!  Many people were headed downtown to a pizzeria but I was just too exhausted.  So Ellie, Alex and I ended up just going to the grocery store later where I found Mr. Clean!  Couldn’t read it but definitely could see his bald head.  At home, I made my first Italian supper – and it of course was marinara pasta, focaccia Genovese and red wine.  Wow!  I was super impressed with the pasta sauce.  It was just the generic store brand but this was the best pomodoro sauce I’ve ever tasted!  Way better than anything I’ve had back in Saskatchewan. 

Also, my gecko friend made a reappearance.  Grrrr!  Thought I’d nipped that in the bud when I put my screens down further on my windows but apparently not.  However, he scooted away and I found where he went and have thus blocked the hole.  Here’s hoping that he doesn’t find another way in.  I’m really hoping this time!  I think I’m paranoid about it and can’t sleep well because of it.  Oh dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment