Here I am! A prairie Saskatchewan girl living an adventure in Italy for the next two years. I'm sharing my trials & tribulations, exciting adventures and just talking about life. Join me! Ciao!

Friday, October 17, 2014

Foods - the "What?" and "Wow!"

I was forewarned upon coming to Italy that food was NOT going to be the same.  Even though it’s beef, it won’t look or taste the same.  Even though it’s soup, it won’t look or taste the same (or even be cooked in the same manner). 

Did I believe this?  Yes......and no.  I knew, and could accept, that things would be different.  Did I think it would be so drastic in some cases?  No.  So I’ve had some good and interesting surprises when it’s come to food here.

So here is my list of “What?” and “Wow!”

“What?” = surprises; interesting new things
“Wow!” = can’t believe it’s the same, or that I’d find it here

What?
Hamburger – does NOT look the same.  It’s much bigger and squiggly.  Really actually resembles worms so when children back in Canada make that connection, well.....have I the picture for them.  As for the taste, pretty close to back home.  


Indiana ice cream – this would NOT be politically correct back home.  Nope, didn’t buy just saw and my mouth dropped.



Seafood – seafood is SUPER huge here!  Makes sense since I live right on the Ligurian Sea.  But even the grocery store has a huge selection of fresh seafood to buy each day (including eel and octopus).

Wine – it is SUPER cheap here!  Yes I know I’m in Italy and have walked beside the grape fields that are in abundance here.  But it’s still shocking as to how cheap.  Kinda feel ripped off at the wine prices back home (although I know it was imported but still).

Milk – Being lactose intolerant is not an easy thing in a country where cheese is a staple and gelato is a great treat.  *sigh*  But even trying to find regular milk for a science experiment or almond/soy milk has been quite the task.  I’ve bought quite a few different containers of soy and almond milk only to find it too sweet to drink.  Will have to keep on trying I guess. J

Beer – SO not the same here.  Much harsher, even the “blonde” beer. Beer also goes by some interesting categories: blonde, red, dark.  I’m sure this is normal for many places throughout the world, but new to me.

Baking Powder - another packaging flaw.  These things still shock me that it's allowed and acceptable here.


Salad Dressing – No such thing here.  If you have a salad, then expect to put olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar on it, or eat it plain.  There is nothing that resembles salad dressing here (Kraft could take on a huge expat market here if they invaded).

Soup – Not usual.  I’ve found a couple different ones (which have been very tasty) but soup often comes in a bag and is cooked very differently.  I have found a few cans and boxes of soup, but the bag is the most favoured packaging for stores to carry.


Rice – Minute Rice was one of my best friends.  Now, I’m learning to cook rice much differently.  To make rice here, regardless of the kind as there are many, you boil the water, throw in the rice, and boil it until it is cooked.  Then you strain it (like pasta – weird I know!) and voila!  I learned this fine art the other night making supper for friends.  Luckily I was successful but also found that the rice is stickier.

Fun fact: You need to put on gloves when buying unpackaged (bulk) produce at the grocery store.  Health and food hygiene (kinda hypocritical to use the word hygiene here) are quite important here.


Wow!
Steak – I bought what I could only determine from looks was a steak for stir fry the other night.  Super scrumptious and tasted just like a steak I’d buy from back home.

Pringles – Yes!  I found a snack food from back home that I know and tastes the same (not that I’m not into trying new things – but it’s nice to find something familiar that you know you’ll like).



Grocery Store Pasta Sauce – I’ve never tasted such GREAT pasta sauce in my life. And it’s just the store brand!  Way to go Coop!

(This flavour not so much.  Too sweet. LOVE the Pomodoro)

Skippy peanut butter – Yes!  Carrefour carried it and a friend found it for me.  This was also the friend who tried the peanut butter found here (not a brand I’d recognized) and told me it was NOT the same lol.



Nutella – a staple here it seems.  You can even get Nutella brioche at many restaurants.  I’ve never tried it before moving here (kinda scoffed at it) but now it’s one of those things I eat since it’s familiar and actually tastes pretty good.


Bread – The store makes their own bread but it’s too tough for my sensitive teeth.  Therefore, I’ve bought the preservative filled bread (that’s not even kept in the bread area but on shelves elsewhere) and it tastes pretty scrumptious to me.

Tea - There is some decent tea to be found at the Coop here, but it's even better when you find a familiar brand, with english packaging ;), that you enjoy.



Plum cakes – I’ve always enjoyed white cake without icing.  Now I’ve found my new favourite treat here – plum cakes.  Plum cakes are little cakes (I know, great description) that you can buy pre-packaged (yes, preservatives here I come).  They are so delicious and there are some with chocolate chips too!


Condiments – While I did not expect to find Frenchs mustard I was completely shocked to find Heinz ketchup and Kikkomen soya sauce.  Not that’s not my usual soya sauce from back home, but I know it and will adopt it as mine whilst I’m here.


Coke Products - Italy is BIG on Coke products.  I've had to scrounge to find Pepsi (which I successfully did however due to the availability of Coke I may convert due to convenience of purchasing).  However, if you only want a single bottle and not the 6-pack then feel free to rip open the package their in and take only one (or two).  They are inputted at the grocery store as single entities anyways.


Ritz Crackers - Yep! Another product that is found overseas and tastes even better here (as far as I'm concerned).  Definitely not as salty - which is true for many of the foods here. 


I’m sure I’ll find many more surprises and wonders as I spend more time getting to know my local grocery store.  It definitely keeps even the little things, like grocery shopping, interesting around here!


‘Til next time. J

1 comment:

  1. While things may not be entirely the same, it is great to hear you are not starving and you have some of the staples. The milk would bother me greatly, but you can stretch the ketchup a long way. I see much of the packaging is tad different too. Enjoy the wine!

    ReplyDelete