Here I am! A prairie Saskatchewan girl living an adventure in Italy for the next two years. I'm sharing my trials & tribulations, exciting adventures and just talking about life. Join me! Ciao!

Saturday, November 22, 2014

London Baby!

It's always been a dream of mine to see London, England.

I suppose it probably started when I was enamoured with Princess Diana as a young girl.  Or maybe it was because it's branded in my family heritage - since our ancestors derive from British decent,  Either way, when a great opportunity in more ways than one was presented to me, thanks to the NFL, I couldn't stop myself from jetting north to make some dreams come true.

British soil

It was going to be a quick, long weekend trip so I was prepared to pack in as many things as I could.

Upon arriving in London on Saturday, it was already late afternoon (thanks to the travel times to and from airports) so I quickly checked into my place and headed to explore the neighbourhood.

The Londoners look out for your safety ;)


I'd found a place to stay where I was one of a few people renting rooms in a house.  Now....before I arrived I didn't know that there would be more people than just me doing this (actually thought there was only one room to rent in the house and that would be me).  However, it turned out to be an adventure and let's just say I lived lol.

Glad they are warning me!

The location of this place was phenomenal for me.  It was in the Paddington area of the city, right next to the Tube so I had easy access to the city.  For those of you planning to go to London, find a place close to the Tube (subway).  I bought a day pass at only 9 pounds on Sunday and was able to zip all over the city extremely easily.

Anyway, I was able to make it to Hyde Park and Kensington gardens that evening as it was only a 10 min walk from my place.  An evening stroll in the famous London parks on a Saturday evening?, Well, my trip sure started off great!

Italian Gardens

Kensington Gardens

The Albert Memorial
https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/kensington-gardens/things-to-see-and-do/memorials,-fountains-and-statues/the-albert-memorial


Unfortunately, it soon began to pour buckets (so typical of many European countries right now) so I popped into a restaurant for a bite to eat.  Another great thing about where I was staying: lots of restaurants and pubs, along with other hotels so I felt comfortable walking around in a strange city alone knowing that there were locals AND tourists there.

Again, watching for safety :)

After supper I continued to check out the neighbourhood.

Then, I decided to do it .... get a haircut that is.

Now let me provide you with some background about this.  I have had my hair cut/coloured by the same person for the last 8 yrs back home.  Upon leaving for Italy, I had let my colour and layers grow out to make it easier to deal with finding a hairdresser in Italy.  However, as some of my friends have braved the salons here it became quite apparent that: a) I'd get layered again if I went somewhere, b) language was a huge barrier, and c) there's really no such thing as a trim (eeeek!!).  Therefore, it had been suggested by my family to get one while I was in London.  However, since all I wanted was a trim I knew I wouldn't be setting foot in a fancy salon.  Which leads me to this Saturday night adventure in London.

In my London gallivanting I saw a little place that did unisex hair cutting so I popped in.  I figured as long as they speak English who can really mess up a trim right?  Well, I was pretty close.  It turns out that what I really wanted was "the points off" lol.  Either way, it turned out ok and at least my "points" were off lol.  Interesting part: my hairdresser, a nice early 30s man, was of East Indian decent who lived in Holland a great part of his life and then moved to London to work a few yrs earlier.  And his client was an American from Canada living and teaching in Italy who travelled to England for the weekend. LOL Talk about a multicultural event at the hair dressers. ;)

The next day was when the REAL London fun began!

Prior to beginning my Sunday trek, I'd purchased a London map (best decision I've made when navigating a city) and mapped out the places I'd wanted to go.  Then I got a Tube map and found out how to get there.  This allowed me to visit almost all the places I'd wanted to (due to time restraints) in a day.

Up and at 'em early on Sunday, I'd made my way to the Tower Bridge - the first destination of the day.  It was amazing!  Upon exiting the Tube the Tower of London was right in front of me. Considering the time of year I was visiting at (it was Remembrance Day celebrations there) the area around the Tower was covered with poppies, one for each of the fallen Commonwealth soldiers in the wars.  I next made my way along the Tower Bridge, actually walking down both sides of it.








Where the draw bridge splits :o

This is when my awe of London really set in.  I could not believe I was there, standing amidst a city a world away from my norm, in a place I'd only read and seen on tv or in books before.  I was captivated!

Next, I made my way to London Bridge (awe, a child's song brought to life, although it didn't fall down) and then to the Westminster area.  It was in this area that upon ascending from the Tube I saw it.....straight from the visions I'd had from Disney's Peter Pan........BIG BEN!! And yes, it was just as magnificent as I'd expected.

They still have working phone booths (classic!)


\
London Bridge

Big Ben

The next hour was spent walking along the Thames whilst in view of the majestic Houses of Parliament (I SO wanted to go in) and visiting Westminster Abbey.


Houses of Parliament



The Thames

Houses of Parliament (rear view)



Westminster Abbey


Later that afternoon, I proceeded to head to my future home: Buckingham Palace ;)  Funny thing: I approached from the side and almost walked right by it lol.  The nice police man guided me back and around, of course after my comment "That's it?" when seeing it from the side. Once I walked around the the front, I definitely could swallow back that comment.  It was fun to see the guards and the sniper on top of the palace.  It was interesting to see that the gates around the palace were noted for different Commonwealth countries.  Of course I found Canada's gates, which also had a Canadian Remembrance Day service occurring just on the other side.  Again, the timing of my trip was quite intriguing and the patriot in me was stirred by all the Canadian references/events that were available to see and participate in.  
 

Buckingham Palace

LOVE the guards hat!

Gotta throw in a selfie every so often
so that you all believe I was actually there ;)

Canadian Gates

Canadian Remembrance Day service

I then spent a leisurely amount of time walking through another area of Hyde Park (it's super expansive) on my way back to my place to prepare for the event I'd come here for.




Being from Saskatchewan, I bleed green!  What does that mean?  It means I am a Saskatchewan Roughrider fan (our professional CFL team from Canada).  Since leaving Canada, I've completely missed watching Rider games, although have cheered from across the pond, as well as the NFL season start up since football is football to those of us who love the game.  Well, upon skyping with my family one weekend in Oct my mother reminded me that the NFL plays a game in London.  And this year they were playing 3!! Hence, I was in London for the NFL game, with sightseeing being an "effect" of my trip lol.

So that I evening I was off to Wembley Stadium for my first ever NFL game (overseas of course lol).  Upon entering the atmosphere, I was totally in my element and home tugged at my heart strings.  I didn't really understand how much I missed my sporting events until I'd trekked back to one.  Now, I could care less which team won: Jacksonsville vs Cowboys, however have to admit that I'll cheer against the Cowboys any day.

The NFL did not let me down,  Between the opening show, the game, the location, etc. I had a great time and was glad I'd taken time to do this for myself.  As a Roughrider fan though, NOTHING will ever compare to those games: home or away ;)


Wembley Stadium (entrance via the Tube)


First NFL ticket

Game day bling ;)

Stadium goods (flag for Jacksonville - home team, and bag for 
opening number)

Wembley Stadium has drink holders? Perfetto!


While singing the opening anthems, we held up bags
to create a "field of poppies" in the stadium

Largest stadium I've even been to.  Apparently, I heard
80,000++ people were there :o

Monday was my departure day but I had planned an afternoon flight back to Genova so I had time to visit Notting Hill, Portabello Road, Kensington Gardens and Kensington Palace.

Notting Hill area



\
Love the iconic double decker buses

Paddington Bear




Kensington palace

Queen Victoria and I

Their taxis are aweomse!

As I boarded the Tube to the station, where I'd board a train to take me to the airport, I could only leave London with one thought: I'll DEFINITELY be back!!  Joey from Friends played through my head a few times, "London Baby!! as well as the pop up map ;)  And his enthusiasm fit the city to a t!!

London has my heart! Forever and always. :)

Note: If you are flying London to Genova try to fly British Airways - great staff, leg room and a free meal, at least on my trip. And...pilots will do their best to deal with the lovely turbulence of Genova's weather and land safely amid eventful situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment