Here I am! A prairie Saskatchewan girl living an adventure in Italy for the next two years. I'm sharing my trials & tribulations, exciting adventures and just talking about life. Join me! Ciao!

Friday, January 29, 2016

Day Tripping in Italy - Rapallo

Although the school year is only half way through, my 2 yrs in Italy will be coming to a close quicker than I will anticipate.  Therefore, I've decided to make the most of the time I still have and try to get in a few day trips around the Ligurian area, and surrounding provinces, in Italy and see as much as I can (in between my larger planned trips to other countries).

In the last couple of weekends I've made a couple of Saturday day trips just outside of Genova.  The great thing about travelling sans vehicle here is that public transportation is very good.  So I hopped a Regionale train and 40 minutes later was in the seaside town of Rapallo.

A quaint, quiet place it was which was evident as soon as I exited the train station.  Walking down towards the water I entered an area of only foot traffic streets bordered with stores, markets and individual shops to purchase wares of many kinds.

After I meandered the streets for a while, going left then right then left then right but not having to worry about evading rogue drivers, I found myself at the sea.  There is a beautiful little promenade in Rapallo that winds its way beside the lapping water so I decided to stretch my sea legs and take it.  One way took me away from the hubbub and into a quieter area of the town.  The other way had me returning to the restaurant and more populated spots.  It was then when I found a nice little restaurant across the street but still facing the sea and enjoyed a Miami salad with a view of the sun glinting off the relatively calm waters.

After I'd relaxed and enjoyed feeling the sun on my face, I proceeded to continue to amble through the streets of Rapallo, stopping to do a little shopping along the way.  Thankfully the area I was in was close to the train station so it was easy to find my way back and head home to Genova later that afternoon.  The great thing about day tripping via train is that there is usually a Regionale every half an hour so you can hop on quite frequently, sit back, read a good book or listen to music and watch the scenery (con tunnels) go by while you let someone else do the driving.

On the way to Rapallo

Let the adventuring begin!




Some beautiful architecture situated throughout

Fresh fruit and veggie stalls


Street along the promenade; adorned by palm trees

Castello di Mare


Beautiful view of the coast












Love when you find something little squished in between two buildings


Mediterranean weather today




No comments:

Post a Comment