Here I am! A prairie Saskatchewan girl living an adventure in Italy for the next two years. I'm sharing my trials & tribulations, exciting adventures and just talking about life. Join me! Ciao!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Into the Wilderness

One of the most interesting things I've learned of the Ligurian area in Italy is that it holds a vast number of hiking trails which can challenge you while offering amazing views of both the countryside and the coast.

In the past couple of months, a group of friends and I have traversed all over this lovely countryside. Trails around here can lead you from one town to another, along the coast, across rock faces, into deep jungle like terrain, up the side of a mountain and down the other, through forestry, and keep you on your toes as you turn a corner and BAM! surprise, new terrain!

The paths we have tread upon have also entertained our feet and ensured that we kept an eye on what would appear below them.   From dirt, to stone, to paved lanes, through towns, up stairs, amid the woods carefully stepping over exposed tree roots, etc. And all of those usually occur during the same hike.  It's interesting to see the unique way these trails have been created.  As long as you continue to follow the markers for your path, and read the signs that pop up at intersections you can usually ensure that at least you'll continue along the right path and not veer off onto another, drawing you into unknown depths.

We've hiked for hours, usually exceeding the "estimated" time it takes to supposedly complete the desired route.  Actually, I would really like to know who makes these "estimated" times and to see their physical status.  Are they human??  I know I'm no athlete, but I do consider myself an average individual.  However after completing some of these trails I feel a little......well, below average.  And completely insignificant to nature and all the wonders it holds.

It would also be nice to have warning signs before the trails.  I've often thought as I'm plugging away along some of these trails: there should be a warning for short legged people.  I've often really had to stretch, and even jump, at times. Do your research people before embarking on any hike, because in most cases there's no going back.  Either you continue or....I guess hope for cell service so you can be airlifted out?

Needless to say I've become addicted to hiking.  Whether it's here near Genova, or while on trips like the hike we did while at Lake Como.  I'm really wishing I would have gotten into hiking here before this summer as I'm really going to miss this.  The hiking in Saskatchewan will not be able to compare to what I've experienced here in Italy.

Santa Margherita to Portofino to San Fruttuoso



Santa Margherita - the start





Our first symbol to follow






Portofino






San Fruttuoso



Camogli to San Fruttuoso


Goodbye Comogli

Crystal clear water





Endured one scary part, but more were to come :s





No comments:

Post a Comment